DIY: Winter Hand Salve
Winter can be a rough time of year – not only on your boots, but also on your skin! Keep your hands silky and smooth with this simple DIY using some of our very favorite natural ingredients. Avocado oil is a great source of natural hydration, while the beeswax ensures a non-greasy formula that dries quickly and leaves hands looking great. The lavender-infused oil gives this salve a deliciously soothing scent that you won’t mind slathering all over your hands (it’s great for cracked heels and elbows too)! Give it a whirl:
- 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax pastilles (or grated beeswax)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (can also use olive oil or apricot kernel oil)
- Pour avocado oil and lavender flowers into glass measuring cup or saucepan and heat slowly over lower heat.
- Once oil mixture is warm, remove from heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes (infusing lavender into oil).
- Place cheesecloth or a fine strainer over a glass/saucepan to strain lavender oil mixture and remove the majority of the lavender flowers.
- Create a double boiler by placing a few inches of water in saucepan and place the cup with oil into the pan of water. Warm slowly over low heat until water is simmering.
- While water is warming, add 5 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 tablespoons of beeswax to your oil.
- Let the mixture sit in simmering water and stir until the beeswax has melted completely.
- Pour into clean jars and allow to cool.
- This can keep for up to 6 months.