A new school year means a new start. As cliché as that may be, it doesn’t make it any less true. Now’s your chance to revamp your wardrobe.
Before you run off to the mall to splurge on trendy pieces for the upcoming school year, sort through your closet. While for some this is equivalent to a three week archaeological dig, purging your old clothes will save you money, time & precious space that your closet is in desperate need of. Laying out what you already own is like a road map for what you’ll need for the upcoming year, & what you want (big difference!). Set aside a chunk of time with your best friend & ask her to be ruthless- I try to do this about every 3 to 4 months to avoid clutter. Our clothes can become a part of us, and like a cover of a book, they’re a sneak peak into our personality. Often we see them as our “babies”…but there comes a time when its best to let go. Say GOODBYE to the dress you wore to so-and-so’s Sweet Sixteen; just because your ditching the dress, doesn’t mean you’ll lose the memories.
Once your cleanse is complete (namaste), its time to start the real fun. Fill your new wardrobe with staples that will stick around for the long haul, and incorporate trendier pieces to achieve a classic, lasting look.
- A Neutral, Fitted Tee: Finding the perfect white tee is always a challenge, but when you do, it’s a lifesaver.
- The Perfect Fall Jacket: With the cool air on its way, this is your opportunity to experiment with edgy layering, while still keeping a classic piece for years to come.
- Oversized Sweater: If you find it in a thrift store or steal it from your boyfriend, a great sweater provides the same coziness as your fav college sweatshirt, but with a much chicer edge.
- Blazer: Keep it laid back with jeans or play it up to impress at an interview, blazers will never go out of style Another essential that can be a polished twist for class or played up to impress at a college interview
- The Dark Wash Skinny Jean: This should be every girls go-to; dress it up with a cute heel or keep it casual with a simple tee