Don’t Sweat It: How to Prevent Your Makeup from Melting
It seems that the dog days of summer have quickly shown up, bringing with them every beauty-junkies worst enemy: hot, heavy humidity. While there’s nothing we can do except ride out mother nature’s hot flash, there are a few easy ways to combat frizzy hair and sweaty makeup.
Our favorite summertime beauty tricks after the jump:
- Choose the right products for the weather. If you’ve ever walked a few blocks on a sweltering summer day in the city, you know that with humidity, comes grease. Try swapping out your heavy foundation for a lightweight, oil-free tinted moisturizer to prevent a runny face. Plus, built-in SPF is a must! Likewise, try exchanging a liquid liner for gel, powder blush for creme, and your favorite lip gloss for a reliable and light lipstain.
- Avoid over-highlighting or applying any product with too much shimmer; this can make you look shiny even when you aren’t!
- While we all like to think we’re immune to sweat (or glisten, as we call it), it’s inevitable come August. Sweat + heat + grease = breakouts. Keep blotting papers or cooling facial wipes, like Yes to Cucumbers travel towelettes, in your bag along with your faithful Blemish Stick to help fight against the extra shine and prevent any new inflammations from arising.
- Washing your face properly is vital in keeping your skin fresh and dewy in the summer. Use your favorite facial cleanser with an exfoliating brush to help rid your pores of grease and grime. Just be sure not to overdo it – cleansing more than twice a day can strip your skin of it’s natural oils, causing your face to become oily faster!
- Before braving the great outdoors, finish your barely-there makeup look with a setting spray to keep your face from melting, and a lightweight body oil, like squalane, in your hair to keep frizz and flyaways from making an unwanted appearance.